A quote that made me think

"The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them."

George Bernard Shaw


This quote was delivered into my email inbox by Sparkpeople and it really made me think. I know that I am far too lazy when it comes to doing exercise and I often ignore opportunities to do more. For example, I live 21/2 miles from the train station and, as I commute daily, I get a taxi both ways, which costs me £55 a week!!!

Now, as I already leave home at 6.10 am there is no way I am ever going to walk in the mornings. However, there really is no excuse for me getting a taxi in the evenings. I take 2 trains home and every night when I get on the first one I start an internal conversation with myself which goes something along the lines of "Shall I phone for a taxi when I get to Clapham Junction, or am I going to walk? Well, (says one part of my brain), you are really tired and if you walk it will mean that it will be 13 hours since you left home and then it will be really late to cook and you won't have time to go on the treadmill and you will miss something good on telly." The other part of my brain offers a feeble response and I phone for a taxi. If I don't phone for a taxi from Clapham then I have no option but to walk as the local taxi firm only has 2 cars and they are always busy unless you book in advance.

It also made me think about my personal life - my marriage broke up 5 years ago and until a little while ago I was 100% happy on my own, but over the past few months I have started to feel a little lonely at times. However, I never put myself in a position where I could meet anyone - so now this quote has made me think about how I might rectify that too.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Weigh Ins

Lost during 2009 - 65lbs

Weight kept off in 2009 - 50lbs

2010

By 27th April -4.5lbs

2nd January 2009

2nd January 2009
Two days before I started my diet - the cigarette isn't mine! !

Princess Alice 1/2 Marathon Walk - 5th Sept 09

Princess Alice 1/2 Marathon Walk - 5th Sept 09
Charlie, Val, Me, Natalie, Tanya, Fi, Emma

Followers


Recent Comments